Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Landry's Column

"Legit"

Eric could not form a dragon wang despite his best efforts. The glass just wasn’t hot enough for the glass to melt. Justin on the hand did quite well at forming a dragon wang. He waited for the glass to reach its melting point and leaned right into it with a stick. If he had a chance to continue, he would have the opportunity to become a master bottle shaper just like the guys you see in crappy malls. Of course, they are capable of forming entire dragons. Whereas Justin and Eric were starting with just the wang by placing a glass bottle into the campfire and pulling it out in order to shape it.

All of this cheered me up as my current financial state was and is reaching a crisis. Road trips have always allowed me to forget the negative aspects of my day to day life. At the very least they have served as a respite from financial solvency. This trip was no different and even though I had only spent one day on the road, I had already forgotten about my line of credit and depleted savings.

The entire trip started with a facebook invitation from Mark Feero. The entire East Side crew was going to go on a camping trip. While I’m not much of an outdoorsman, I felt morally obligated to participate. Not just because I told them I would but also because I was not being asked to bring my vehicle. When such an obstacle is removed from the equation, I really don’t have any reason to say “no”. As such, I was on my way to check out the new skatepark in Chester, Nova Scotia which is “legit as fuck”.

This one line became the means through which to describe everything, and would never have been attributed to the park at all if one of the locals hadn’t used this term to describe the manner in which his friend was jumping a series of girls on a couch with his bike. It was quite a sight. So much so that his friend made a point of saying “that was legit as fuck.” I guess he felt he had to stick up for him since his friend went to great lengths to plan this stunt. Not only did he bring the couch himself with a van but he also had to set it up, have a group of underage girls sit on it, ask every person there to clear the way and cross a busy street to get enough speed to clear the couch. As you can see, it really was “legit as fuck”.

It’s always nice to pick up new lingo when you’re away on a trip. It allows a person to extend his or her vocabulary and boost the overall sentiment in regards to a particular issue. If I were to visit New England, a kid might say “that was wicked awesome” or if I was in Norcal I might hear a kid say “that was hella tight”. It all depends on your geography. Now that I had ventured deep within Nova Scotia, I was now familiar with a new saying that I can apply to almost the entire trip. For example, the camping was legit as fuck. Everyone froze in their tents except for me because I borrowed a Mountain Equipment Coop sleeping bag from my sister. Even though I didn’t freeze, it was still legit because I still slept outside. Our breakfast at Tim Horton’s was legit as fuck because when it comes to our Canadian identity, you can’t get much more legit than Tim Horton’s. It well outnumbers any other fast food franchise. Skating at Truro and Lunenburg were legit as fuck. They both had underage girls who were making their parents proud by becoming locals who lurk at a skateboard park, as well as cars that would spin out upon departure. It is these nuances that make all the difference in a trip and it was no different here. The local colour with their charm and good humour reminded us all of what it means to be a tourist.

So did the police officers who informed the entire crew that helmets are to be worn at all times. In New Brunswick a person can skate at a park without a helmet at all but not in Nova Scotia. In fact, it is legal to skate in on the streets in Nova Scotia as long as you are wearing a helmet. Alan Muir told me this and I had to believe him because he lives in Nova Scotia and skates regularly. Unfortunately for us, a few of our crew members decided to tempt fate by not wearing a helmet while rolling around bikers in the skatepark. This nearly led to one person in particular going to jail for the evening. It wasn’t so much the skating without a helmet that got this lad in trouble but the fact that he was getting mouthy. If there is one thing police officers hate it’s someone being mouthy. They find it insulting and a direct challenge to their authority. I didn’t want to challenge anyone’s authority. I wasn’t skating though because I fell onto my leg. This fall has caused a bruise the size of a hockey puck as well as some time spent as a “limpy mcgee”. Fortunately, it’s all clearing up now.

Overall, the trip was a success. There were no fights, only people getting lost on the highway.

-Marc Landry




No comments: