Saturday, February 11, 2012

DSLR Handle Tutorial

I've been asked a few times about the handle that I used for my 7D when filming fisheye, and decided I would put a little tutorial of how I made it since it's super cheap and easy to make.

First off you gotta go to a hardware store like home depot and buy 2, 5" corner braces similar to this one at home depot, the one that I bought has 3 holes which is the one you want, but they don't have it on their site for some reason. It costs about the same($1.69).

You could also try getting a bit smaller sized corner braces something like 3"- 4" if they have them. I went with the 5" one so I had enough room for the microphone to sit on top of the camera.


Once you have the 2 corner braces you need to buy 2 bolts and, 2 lock-nut screws to keep the handle together.

After that you'll need a screw that fits a the tripod mount hole on the bottom of the camera, I also bought a nut to keep the screw on the handle for when I'm not using so I don't loose the screw.

Finally to be able to film with out cutting your hands or loosing grip you should get a foam or rubber handle that they make for bikes and scooters. You can get these for pretty cheap($5-$15) at Walmart or Canadian Tire.

I'd recommend experimenting with the position of the camera from the middle to the end of the handle, I found having it on the end was easier to stabilize the camera for me.

No comments: