Thursday, August 20, 2009

Landry's Colum

"Heatwaves and Jeans"

After seeing people wear jeans throughout the heat wave this week, I was reminded of an older transvestite I saw in Montreal quite a few years ago. Despite this man’s apparent poverty, he always wore a woman’s outfit. Even though you could tell much of his garb was picked up second hand and his make up was definitely applied with reckless abandon, he remained dedicated to his look. I think this is the same type of dedication which is necessary to wear slim fitting jeans while skating around town during the summer months.

I think this may be one of the ultimate forms of rebellion in the face of adversity. While Leonard Cohen once stated that staying up at night (despite a person’s need for rest) as one of the simplest forms of rebellion, I think a much more difficult form of rebellion is against the weather itself. In Canada, we do not have it easy. We freeze in the winter and are cooked in the summer. We do whatever we can to get around these difficulties because deep down we know that life must go on. However, to skate in jeans during 30+ humid temperatures is to really stick to one’s guns despite any discomfort which may arise.

I’m not dissing those who choose to wear jeans during the summer months. In fact, I applaud them. If I were half the man I was a decade ago, I would be wearing them myself. Unfortunately, I truly cannot skate in jeans in the heat anymore. I even have trouble wearing jeans just walking around in the heat. I only mention this because I really would like to be wearing pants but I just don’t have the strength to fight the heat.

It’s nice to see that there are those out there who will remain dedicated to not only a look but to skateboarding in general. They will continue on despite the weather, trials and tribulations of life and the pain of falling down. The act of wearing an outfit is one thing but the dedication to an outfit is a true reflection of the character which is necessary to get through life and to continue on with an individual’s passion. Stay gold Pony Boy, stay gold….

-Marc Landry

3 comments:

......... said...

hahaha, I like how you compared skaters in jeans to transvestites. But I think you could just as easily have used skaters in general in your comparison, it's so hot out.

Anonymous said...

i feel targeted...thanks for thinking of me marc ;)

justin martin said...

reading your colum is always refreshing